Friday 22 April 2011

Ahhhhhhhhh

So I'm still on Josee's couch - I've been incredibly lucky to have met her and Nay (the room mate). Foregoing usual couchsurfing etiquette, I've been sleeping on their futon for 12 nights now!

As for what I've been up to.... ummmm. Stuff?
I've now got a somewhat squeeky $40 bike from the AMAZING Bike Pirates on Bloor. Lesson soon learnt however, shit bike + rain = no brakes, at all.
I've also managed to find somewhere to live. Yaaay. After trolloping about 8 places, my head spinning with a decision looming (those who know me are all too aware of my indecisiveness) - flat mates / house equation, the concluding abode seemed to have a pretty good balance of both. Well, we'll see.
My mental / physical wellbeing has also been addressed over the past few days, something I've been meaning to do for a while. 30 days for $30 yoga, and boy am I gonna make the most of it. So I say...
My arms ache, my ass aches and my sides (muscles I didn't know about) ache. Bitten off more than I can chew? Perhaps.

As for the mental wellbeing, I ended up helping out at an 'unconference' yesterday at Dancemakers (a space for performance artists). Unstructured, the aim of the day was for those in the arts to meet others and mutually help with collective concerns/problems. Such discussions as 'are there too many artists?' were raised, a lot of them leading me to question my own life. I don't know what I want to 'do'. Art? Well yes, but how do I break into an already over-populated community and actually make a living? And is there any way I can address my social/environmental concerns within this practice? Passion will push me through, so I'm told, but I just can't seem to find it anywhere. That's not to say I want to sit on my arse all day, gorging, growing fatter and fatterer, until eventually little grey hairs start sprouting on my chin, but how do you find that drive?

Overwhelmed by just how much art is out there, I start to feel smaller and smaller. I recently discovered illustrator Karolin Schnoor (not necessarily my usual style, perhaps a bit too feminine?). But oh, the lines! The colours! The imagination! I shall never be as worthy as thou... will I?

Is my passion art? Maybe. I think so. I'm just out of practice, a graduate of unemployable non-sense (BSc Anthropology, cheers) I need to catch up on these guys. Find a style.

Right, let's go!

No comments:

Post a Comment